First Test

Wednesday, Oct. 11th, 2017 is National Test Day. The Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior classes at Jesuit High School will all be taking standardized tests for a few hours that morning. While Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors have already went through this experience, the Freshmen have not.

“The purpose of the test is to prepare [students] for national standardized tests that they are going to be taking,” said Assistant Principal for Curriculum and Assessment Mr. David Zielke. “This is a big part of being a student, especially at a college prep school. There are going to be high stakes exams that they will have to eventually take.”

The Freshman standardized test is simply to help students prepare for the SAT and ACT, which each have significant influences on college admissions. Practicing math concepts and reading high quality literature are Mr. Zielke’s recommendations as to how freshmen should prepare for the test.

“They should not be worried about the test. There are no consequences,” said Mr. Zielke. “However, it is important that they do their best.”

The test offers the Counseling Department insight into the strengths and weaknesses of their students. It also gives the counselors data that they can use to advise students.

“I want [students] to learn a little bit about what it means to take a standardized test, without the pressure that they are to eventually have with the ACT and SAT,” said Mr. Zielke.

Mr. Zielke’s goal for the Freshman class is that they do their best and have a positive experience. While the test does not affect your GPA and colleges will not see it, the whole process is good practice for future tests. This exam can help set up the Jesuit Class of 2021 for success on future standardized tests.