Making every pint count

Colin Ryan, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Feb. 2., Jesuit High School will be hosting its 16th annual Blood Drive.

BloodSource, the non-profit organization collecting at the drive, is a collection agency that provides blood, marrow, and transfusion services throughout Northern California and the Central Valley. They are the sole supplier of blood to over 40 hospitals in the region, saving the lives of many victims of accident and disease in our area.

BloodSource is also called upon during natural disasters worldwide to provide blood to the wounded in the affected area. Their work is crucial to saving countless lives across the region and world.

Jesuit will be hosting Bloodsource in the Fr. Barry Gymnasium on Thursday. Students who are at least 16 years old, have a photo ID, and are in good health are encouraged to participate.

Executive Council Historian Jack Murphy ‘17 is planning to give blood because blood donations saved his life as a child when he suffered from a platelet deficiency.

“I want to give back and help other people live like I did,” Jack said.

To be eligible for this blood drive, students under the age of 18 must have a signed parental permission form.

Some medications will limit one’s eligibility to donate. Before donating blood, a sample must be taken to test red blood cell count. A low count could lead to the student’s deferral to a later date. Students can sign up in the Activities Office this week..

Last year, Jesuit donated a collective 108 pints of blood to BloodSource.

Student donations from this year’s drive will continue Jesuit’s history of donating blood and save countless lives. It is truly a worthy cause, and another valuable opportunity for Jesuit students to do good in their community.