Giving the extra effort

William Porter, Copy Editor

Calvin Brownholtz ‘17 is the starting quarterback for Jesuit High School’s Varsity Football Team. The 6’2” 185lb Senior has worked hard on and off the field to get where he is now.

Heading into the 2016 post season, Calvin had accumulated nearly 2,700 passing yards and 51 passing touchdowns during his varsity career and has been a key component of the Marauders offense this season and last.

As quarterback, Calvin leads his team by example to be the best that they can be and to work hard not only during the season, but also in the offseason.

“He’s always been a hard worker,” said Head Varsity Football Coach Marlon Blanton. “We have a certain number of workouts you have to make during the offseason, and he went [well] over the number he was supposed to make. That tells you the extra time and effort he’s putting in to be a good football player.”

“The offseason workouts really gave me a sense of the brotherhood, and I became really close with the few guys that did it,”  Calvin said. “My favorite part about football is the relationships I build with people on the team and with the amazing coaches. I love being a part of one big family.”

This year is Calvin’s last year playing football at Jesuit, but he plans to continue his quarterback career at the next level in college.

If he does play in college, he will follow in the footsteps of his father Scott, who played center for the University of Georgia, his uncle Billy Volek, who played quarterback for Fresno State and in the NFL for the Tennessee Titans and the San Diego Chargers, and his brother Cole, who currently plays quarterback for the University of Hawaii.

Calvin currently has an offer from the University of Texas at El Paso.

“I’d love to play in college. I want to follow in the footsteps of my brother. If it comes down to it, I’ll go to junior college, but […] hopefully I’ll get some [more] good offers,”  Calvin said.

For now, Calvin is focusing on leading his team to a section title. Coach Blanton said that if anyone is primed and ready to lead the team to a section title, it is Calvin.

“We’re gonna look ahead and take it one game at a time,”  Calvin said.