A blue and red rivalry

Jake Cervantes, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Jan. 14, at 6:00pm the age old rivalry between the Jesuit High School Marauders and the Christian Brothers High School Falcons will be on display once again. This time around it’s for basketball bragging rights, and both teams will give their best effort to take home the victory.

“The students and families from local parochial schools have history of friends or family going to either Jesuit or Christian Brothers all throughout the years, so it’s a historical rivalry that means a lot to the community,” said Head Coach Jon Rotz ‘92. “It’s a lot of fun for the players and coaches to be a part of too.”

A large part of the game is undoubtedly the energetic student sections. Jesuit’s Galley Crew and Christian Brother’s Falcon Force are always overflowing with excited students rooting for their team, making the atmosphere of the entire thing that much more exhilarating.

“The Galley Crew brings a different vibe to any game,” said point guard Josh Farr ‘18. “Players and coaches don’t want to admit it, but we love playing in front of the galley crew so much. It really will make us play even better. Hearing the chants and reactions from every student there makes the game better and brings us all closer together.”

Last year, the Marauders picked up a victory at home in a close game that ended 73-71 and saw the Falcons return home empty handed. This year, returning players, such as small forward Matthew Ehrlich ‘17 and point guard Jake Virga ‘18, will look to make a big impact on the game. This time around, however, Christian Brothers has home court advantage.

“We’re expecting a hard fought battle this year,” Matthew said. “Last years game came down to the wire in a 73-71 win. Playing at CB will definitely be a different environment, but I think we’ll be ready.”

Saturday night, a streak will be born or revenge will be had as two rivals go head to head in a game that is sure to set the tone for next year. Whatever the outcome, this game will be sure to excite the passionate fans of both high schools.