Playoffs to remember

Jake Cervantes, Section Editor

The past few weeks have been redeeming for the Jesuit High School Varsity Football Team. This year, the number four seeded Marauders reached the semifinals of the Division Two section playoffs before being upset by the eighth seeded Inderkum High School Tigers.

The team worked hard throughout the season to win more games and qualify for playoffs, picking up some big wins against Granite Bay High School and Grant High School. That hard work payed off during playoffs.

“The team worked hard throughout the season to pick up big wins,” said lineman Connor Bellinger ‘17. “The team really came together.”

Game one of this year’s playoffs saw wide receiver Jonathon Amadi ‘17 score three touchdowns and running back Isaiah Rutherford ‘19 add a rushing touchdown. Defensive back Jake Vassar ‘17 and linebacker Jason Gallagher ‘18 contributed to the win with a pick six each. The game ended 51-14 in Jesuit’s favor.

In game two, tight end Connor Mcintee ‘19 caught a ten yard pass from quarterback Calvin Brownholtz 17’ to start the game off. In the second half of the game, Jesuit made quick work of the Central Catholic Raiders after a 90-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and a 75-yard ‘pick six’ both by wide receiver Jonathon Amadi. The game finished 42-14 .The Marauders advanced.

However, the Marauders section championship run was stopped by the Tigers in the semifinals.

“We had a good playoffs run,” Connor said. “We were confident going in and are happy with how far we made it.”

After this successful season, the players are already looking forward to improving for the 2017-2018 season. Juniors, such as Lorenzo Burkes ‘18, Evan Panson ‘18, and Cayetano Pastana ‘18 will look to lead their team to even more success next year.

“We’ve got a good group of underclassmen and Juniors who are ready to build off of our successful season this year,” Evan said. “We’re going to continue to grow closer as a team and continue our success next year.”

This year’s playoffs will be one to remember. Now, the Senior class was able to finish their final season in style, while the coaches and younger players are preparing for the next season. Surely, the Marauders will take this season’s winning form with them into next season.