Jesuit falls to the Elk Grove Thundering Herd

Peter Lucas, Sports Editor

The Jesuit High School Marauders dropped from rank 19 to out of the top 20 rankings after their 63-14 loss against the Elk Grove High School Thundering Herd (2).

The Marauders dropped three passes from quarterback Calvin Brownholtz ‘17 on their opening drive, leading to a punt from Christian Dyer ‘16.

Jesuit’s defense held EGHS to only seven points in the first quarter, until they conceded a rushing touchdown late in the quarter.  This breach in defense was followed up by three more touchdowns from EGHS in the end of the second quarter.  Outside of that, the Marauder defense was a stronghold.

“I was really happy with our defensive performance overall in the first half, except for a few mistakes that resulted in Elk Grove touchdowns.” said linebacker Lucas Thayer ‘16.

The Jesuit offense struggled and committed five turnovers;Quarterback Calvin Brownholtz ‘17 threw two interceptions, along with three fumbles. As a result of the turnovers, the Marauder offense was stagnant, splitting their only two touchdowns between the second and fourth quarters.

The defense crumbled under the pressure of the EGHS offense in the second half, allowing another 21 point third quarter and another two touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

“It was a combination between our poor defensive play and the strong offensive performance by the Thundering Herd, you have to give them credit.” said wide receiver and free safety Christian Dyer ‘16.

In another league matchup, the Jesuit Marauders will take on the Sheldon Huskies this Friday at 7:15 P.M. at Sheldon High School, where they will try to rise above their .500 record of 3-3.