Jesuit to host annual auction this Saturday

On Saturday, March 27,  from 6:30-8:00 p.m., Jesuit High School Sacramento will host its 49th Annual Jesuit Auction. The theme of this year’s event is“An Evening Under the Stars.”

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the auction will be virtual for the second year in a row. According to Jesuit Director of Events and Auction Ms. Kim Kalmbach, the school is looking to repeat the same success it had in last year’s event. 

“We have been able to learn from our experience in pivoting to a virtual format two weeks prior to the auction last year,” Ms. Kalmbach said. “All of our bidding is done online so anyone, in any location, can log in to bid on auction items. Registration on the site to bid is free.”

With the auction being Jesuit’s largest fundraiser, President Father John McGarry S.J. sees the annual event as important to the school’s fundraising efforts and its community. 

“[The auction] is an important social event for community building, and it is a very essential fundraising event for the school,” Fr. McGarry said. The funds raised through the Auction, in conjunction with the Annual Fund, help Jesuit High School to meet our operating budget expenses. The tuition for each student does not cover the full cost of the education provided, so we necessarily have to raise additional funding through the Auction and the Annual Fund.” 

Fr. McGary is also appreciative of the efforts of Ms. Kalmbach in planning the event and believes the auction will be a success. 

“The Bingo Night and the other virtual events have been very successful, and I give a great deal of credit to our Director of Events, Mrs. Kim Kalmbach,” Fr. McGarry said. “As a member of the Advancement Department, she has been very creative in not only thinking of new ways to raise funds, but fun ways to bring people together in the extended Jesuit High School Community.  During the isolation of this pandemic time, we are all craving social interaction. These virtual events at Jesuit provide people the opportunity to enjoy one another and get to know each other.”

While most of the fun will take place on Saturday with the Auction Mass at 6 p.m. and the Auction at 6:30 p.m., there will be an auction preview party on Friday where auction supporters can come to the newly renovated Fr. Barry Gym & Welcome Center to “shop” the auction. They can preview all the items and bid on-site.  

Despite the adversities that Jesuit has faced with respect to the pandemic, the auction will reaffirm the strength of the school’s community and raise necessary funds during a time where it is needed the most.