Marauders set to battle Whitney in section semifinals

After a formidable victory over Central Catholic High School in the second round of playoffs, the Jesuit High School Marauders are advancing to the semifinals against the Whitney High School Wildcats. 

On paper, No. 4 seeded Jesuit, having earned a 4-2 league record, has the advantage against the No. 9 seeded WHS, who were 2-4 in league play. Despite the stats, the Wildcats are looking for a third consecutive playoff upset, having knocked off No. 8 Lincoln High School and the top seeded Rocklin High School. 

The Marauders will play at home, always a special opportunity for the fans and the players. Offensive lineman Aidan Goveas ’20 believes that having a local crowd behind them gives extra motivation to play well. 

“The atmosphere is incredible when all the students come out and cheer for us,” Aidan said. “It only makes us play harder. If we play with energy, and we have a crowd, no one can hang with us.” 

After a season filled with mixed results, the Marauders are building momentum and rounding into form. Jacob Peluso ’21, defensive back and backup quarterback, believes that Jesuit’s success comes from the players’ trust in the coaches’ game plan.

“We are really locking in and trusting our coaches to put us in a position to make plays and win games,” Jacob said. 

Jesuit’s Scout and Film Coordinator Coach Jonathan Isaac has noticed the team’s commitment to preparing and executing their play.

“Our team is studying their keys, engaging with scout film, and comprehending their assignments to finish the year strong,” Coach Isaac said.

For the senior players, this could be their final game of Jesuit football, and aware of the moment, they hope to continue competing for as long as they can. With a spot in the Sac-Joaquin Section Championship on the line, Jesuit hosts WHS at 1 p.m. on Nov. 23.