Student Coalition for Equity and Inclusion

A major aspect of the Jesuit High School experience is learning how to be “Men For Others.” To this end, students are taught to be leaders and advocates for social justice. The Multicultural Student Union (MSU), which was started last semester to support this mission, looks to continue its work this year.

The MSU combines identity-based clubs in a coalition that serves as a forum for needed discussion and also strives to promote equity and inclusion on campus. The safe space provided by the MSU allows club representatives and students to coordinate efforts and share their experiences.

In the past, individual clubs have often worked in isolation. Mr. Jeff Grant, the director of equity 

and inclusion, took the initiative for the creation of the MSU and now helps moderate the union.

“[As a union] we recognize difference in identity, but similar or shared purpose in mission,” Mr. Grant said. “We [also] can recognize that an identity or culture doesn’t have to be racially or ethnically derived.”

The MSU has seen an increase in members as club representatives and students have taken responsibility and action. Michael Wyant ’20 finds a unique value and importance in the interactions between the clubs during meetings.

“[There’s] meaningful dialogue on the issues of disparity in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status on campus,” Michael said.

Joshua Noll ’20 hopes that these conversations will have a positive impact on student life and that the message reaches a campus-wide audience.

“We hope that by promoting cultural awareness and educating people about different cultures, everyone will become more inclusive on campus,” Joshua said.

With the opportunity to interact with other clubs, Gian Miguel Papio ’20 who represents the Asain Pacific Islander Club, is excited to collaborate within the coalition.

“I am looking forward to working with other heritage clubs to make fun events and to collaborate with them,” Gian said.

Alonso Lee’s ’22 experience as a member of the La Raza Club gives him a deeper appreciation for the mission of the MSU. 

“The MSU tries to exemplify what it means to be in solidarity,” Alonso said. “I have found the more the Cultural clubs isolate themselves from the Jesuit community the more we aggregate issues like racism, immigration policy, and many more important social justice issues on campus.” 

Joshua motivates his fellow Marauders to participate in the union by emphasizing the importance of standing up for justice. 

“As Jesuit students, we should all strive to be men for others, and what better way to do that than to be a proponent of equity and inclusion?” Joshua said. 

This year, it is the goal of the MSU to provide students with more educational experiences. All students are welcome to join the Multicultural Student Union, which meets every other Thursday in GR 205.