Jesuit advances to semifinals in Water Polo

For much of the 2019 season, the Jesuit High School Marauders’ water polo record was marked by a string of close defeats, often by a single point. One such defeat came at the hands of the Rocklin High School Thunder, but on Friday, Nov. 8, the Marauders got payback in their second round playoff game.

The match started off hot for Jesuit as RHS surrendered four goals in the first quarter while being unable to respond with any points of their own. The Marauders maintained their strong lead throughout the game, and increased it to a five point lead by the end of the third period. 

The Thunder made a small comeback by scoring two points in the last quarter, but their efforts were not enough. Jesuit came out on top with a comfortable 10-7 victory.

For Jackson Wacker ’20, the difference between their first game against RHS and Friday’s game 

was the team’s excitement for the rematch, which brought up their level of play.

“I think that we did a much better job of communicating and playing team defense,” Jackson said. “We brought great energy in the game that I think helped us carry out our game plan. We countered hard as a team and played well in our half-court offense.”

For player Aaron Chapman ’21 execution was the key to success.

“We played good defense, made good shots, and we followed the game plan,” Aaron said.

Jesuit’s win over RHS means that the Marauders will now have to face the No. 1 ranked Rio Americano High School Raiders in the section semifinals.

The Marauders lost to the Raiders in a close game earlier in the season, but this time Daniel Burky ’21 thinks that they have a better shot at winning.

“If we play team defense and everyone goes out there and makes a concerted effort, we can definitely win,” Daniel said.

Jesuit’s game against Rio American will be played at Tokay High School on Wednesday Nov. 13 at 2 p.m.