Looking to build off of last year’s success

The Jesuit High School Speech and Debate team is one of the school’s most competitive and successful programs. This year, the returning Marauders look to build off last year’s success, and the new underclassman are looking to prove themselves by representing the team in upcoming competitions.

“Our team looks really strong this year with senior leaders Alex Bonilla ’19, Ryan Albiani ’19, and Nick Conover ’19,” said Cian Conroy ’19, one of the members of Speech and Debate. “Jon Fong ’20 and a strong underclassmen group have consistently placed in events like Parliamentary Debate, Impromptu Speech, and a variety of individual speech competitions.”

Although the team is off to a slow start, they are still confident that they will be ready to meet high expectations when the big competitions come.The great mentoring of Coach Laura Harvey and the leadership of the seniors have led the team to their success this season.

“This season, our amazing coach, Laura Harvey, has come back to coach our team,” Ryan said. “We have gone to over 7 tournaments, and under the guidance of her and Alex and [me], we have seen great success, including many strong finishes from our novice competitors at local tournaments.”

Returning upperclassmen are excited and ready for the coming season. Additionally they are looking to build and improve off last year’s accomplishments.

“This year, I am looking to maintain a top 250 ranking and qualify for TOCs [Tournament of Champions],” Alex said. “Other members are looking to earn an academic All-American Scholarship and qualification to states.”

Even though the competitions are a serious matter, Alex knows how to recognize talent from other schools and assures that all participants are friends at the end of the day.

“The other teams are pretty strong too,” Alex said.“I’d say that Woodcreek High School’s Mark Mikityuk, Davis High School’s Cedric Hughes, and Granite Bay High School’s Avankatha Panchapakesan are amongst the strongest competition. Even though I compete against all of these people, we hug each other every time we meet.”

The Speech and Debate team has a bright future and are still welcoming new members. Let’s give the team our support as they approach their most important competitions this season