Open house: what goes on

On Oct. 21st hundreds of middle school students and their families visited Jesuit High School and experienced a special look at the programs Jesuit has to offer.

Clubs, athletics, campus ministry, broadcasting, and academic departments all showcased their achievements inside the gym.

Outside the gym, prospective students and their families were given personalized campus tours by students of the Senior class.

“Giving a tour at the open house not only allowed me to talk to families and teenagers about how Jesuit has changed my life but also gave me the opportunity to represent my school with my classmates in a way I could not do otherwise,” said Christopher Cotillo ’19.

Prospective students also had the chance to participate with members of Jesuit’s acclaimed robotics team as they demonstrated their robot’s submersible abilities.

“We let people take [the underwater robot] for a test run; we had puzzle pieces […] for the prospective students to try to assemble,” said James Whitcomb-Weston ’19. “The whole point of the experience was to get prospective students excited about robotics.”

Open House captivated the eyes of potential Marauders and their parents. After visiting club tables and experiencing campus tours, attendees were welcomed to a hot dog barbeque next to the football field.

“I really liked the athletics here, and the academics were really good,” said Andrew Meyers, a 7th grader from Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic School in Elk Groves e. “I also thought the clubs were really cool.”

Andrew’s mother also expressed her own opinion on Open House and was impressed by the Jesuit student body.

“I am just surprised and impressed by the students, as to how you are all so well spoken and know what you want in life,” said Mrs. Meyers.  

Jesuit Open House was an opportunity to demonstrate the unique opportunities and talents Jesuit students have.