Flying past the Falcons

In a rivalry full of tradition and with both student sections rocking with spirit, the stage was set for a game to remember.

The big game between Jesuit High School and Christian Brothers High School was played at Hughes Stadium at Sacramento City College. Fans flocked from all over the Sacramento area to watch the heavily anticipated matchup.

Even with a 0-2 start to the season, Jesuit was the favorite to win, and they would end up defeating their rival 46-7.

Jesuit dominated from the start. After receiving the opening kickoff, Jesuit drove down the field on an attack that included a long pass to Laiatu Latu ’19 and concluded with a one-yard rushing touchdown from Running Back Cade Cunningham ’19 .

Jesuit forced CB to punt on its first possession. Getting the ball back, Jesuit then drove the length of the field before CB got a timely interception to stop the drive. The interception was one of Jesuit’s few mistakes of the evening.  

Jesuit effectively ended the game with 26 points in the second quarter. During that quarter, Cade scored another rushing touchdown. Hank Harvego ’19 then connected with Kendric Bailey ’19 for a 69-yard touchdown. Cade blasted a 34-yard touchdown run, followed by a 20-yard TD pass to Connor McIntee ’19. The score was 33-0 at halftime.

Jesuit added two more touchdowns in the third quarter: a 10-yard pass to Spencer Vigil ’19 and a 40-yard pass to Kendric to make the final score 46-7.

Cade was clearly the player of the game, who rushed for 174 yards and had three touchdowns. Despite having an amazing game, Cade credits his teammates for his performance and the Holy Bowl victory.

“Offensively, the line worked their butts off all game, and I give them 100% credit for my rushes,” said Cade. “Hank Harvego passed extremely well, and our receivers made plays which made CB’s defense have to respect the run and pass evenly.”

Cade is also confident that Jesuit’s season is back on track.

“As a team, we really needed this win. After two tough losses, it was good to get that winning feeling back,” said Cade. “Now we need to remember how good winning feels and use it towards the rest of the season.”

After defeating Christian Brothers, Head Coach Marlon Blanton wants to see same energy from his team in their upcoming games.

“It’s week by week,” said Coach Blanton. “We’re looking for the same effort we had in the Holy Bowl for the rest of the season.”

Despite getting limited action on the field due to injury, Jesuit’s Cornerback Isaiah Rutherford ’19 was happy with the way his team played. Isaiah was also glad that his teammates were able to forget about the loss to Granite Bay and just go dominate against Christian Brothers.

“We executed the game plan to perfection, and we didn’t come out like we had just lost a game,” said Isaiah.

With the way Jesuit played against Christian Brothers, fans should be excited for the rest of this season. Jesuit’s next game is this Friday against Rio Americano High School at home, which will be the first night football game in the history of the school.