JHS Plank

Reputation to uphold

Philip Roina '21 | Plank

Philip Roina '21 | Plank

Each year since 1969, the Jesuit High School and Christian Brothers High School football teams have suited up for Holy Bowl, the biggest game of the regular season for both schools.

Jesuit has dominated Holy Bowl in recent years by winning nine of the last ten games. Last season, Jesuit continued its dominance by defeating Christian Brothers 43-14.

Whether this year’s Marauders can carry on that recent winning tradition, however, remains an open question. So far this year, Jesuit is 0-2, losing to nationally-ranked Folsom High School and to Granite Bay High School. Christian Brothers, meanwhile, is 2-1, defeating Pleasant Grove High School and Burbank High School, but losing to Vanden High School.

Even considering Jesuit’s slow start to the season, players are still confident that they will come out of this game with their first win. Despite Jesuit’s lack of success so far, Jesuit’s game plan will stay the same.

“We treat every game the same,” said football coach Isaiah Frey ’08. “No one game is bigger than the other. That being said, Christian Brothers is a tough opponent, so we need to be ready to compete and play hard to the whistle.”

The Marauders have hurt themselves in their first two games with mental mistakes. Coach Frey wants the Holy Bowl to be different.

“The key to success will be knowing our assignment and executing every play,” said Frey. “Mental errors have to be minimal.”

Varsity players like starting Quarterback Hank Harvego ’19 are confident in their hopes to beat Christian Brothers.

“I expect us to compete like we always do,” said Hank. “With a slow start to the season, I think we’re hungry, and I can’t wait to see my dudes ball out.”

In a rivalry this strong, both schools will need to get as hyped as possible to energize their team. Grant Hume ‘19, head cheerleader of the Galley Crew, has some advice for this year’s Jesuit cheering section.

“Our biggest way to get our fans hyped is to start cheering early and have everyone synced up and united as one cheering section,” said Grant. “Once that happens, the level of hype we can reach is limitless.”

Watch the Marauders battle their biggest rival at Hughes Stadium on September 8, 2018. The Freshman game starts at 2:00 p.m., the Junior Varsity game is at 4:30 p.m., and the Varsity Game is at 7:00 p.m. And remember Jesuit fans…if it flies, it dies!

• Reputation to uphold

Sports

Open season on the Grizzlies

• Reputation to uphold

Features

Man for all jobs

• Reputation to uphold

Sports

Big Red back for round two

• Reputation to uphold

Student Life

Unapologetically joyous

• Reputation to uphold

Features

Renowned athlete

• Reputation to uphold

Sports

Take down of the Timberwolves  

• Reputation to uphold

Opinion

Opinion: Why the new dress code?

• Reputation to uphold

Arts

Who is the elephant man?

• Reputation to uphold

Columns

Why no Halloween costumes?

• Reputation to uphold

Sports

Taking on the Timberwolves