JHS Plank

Prepping for a dogfight

Jesuit Communications

Jesuit Communications

The Jesuit High School varsity football team will take on Folsom High School for the Marauders’ season opener on Friday, August 24 at 7:00 P.M. The Marauders will be looking to start their season on the right foot against the CIF State Division I-AA champions.

Last year, Jesuit suffered two defeats to Folsom with one coming in the playoffs ending the Marauder’s season. However, players such as Patrick McIntee ’19 are confident that the Marauders will bounce back and play better against Folsom.

“We took away from last year’s games that Folsom can be beat just like any team,” said Patrick. “We have had opportunities in the past and if we capitalize on all our opportunities, I can see us coming out with a win.”

Preparing for the 12th ranked team in the nation requires countless hours in the gym, field, and classroom for players as well as coaches. Jesuit’s coaching staff have done their best to prepare their team with extra training sessions during the summer and school year.  

“I think the biggest thing us coaches have done is give the players more opportunity for preparation,” said Coach Isaiah Frey. “Adding zero period in the morning was a huge plus in developing players in our system, so we feel it’s helped us progress further along than last year at this time.”

National recruit Laiatu Latu ’19 has noticed the extra training sessions’ impact on the team. As well as enhanced preparation, team chemistry is at an all-time high.

“We have bonded as a team pretty well; however, there are still little kinks to work out, but we’ll be fine,” said Laiatu. “You will know if we took all the right steps come Friday night.”

The Marauders will need to minimize their mistakes and capitalize on chances in order to beat Folsom. It will be a clash between two of Northern California’s finest football programs and a game you certainly do not want to miss.

Follow The Plank on Twitter @jhsplank to receive in game updates as the Marauders travel to  Folsom to take on the Bulldogs this Friday at 7:00 P.M.

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Carmichael Night Lights: a night to remember

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Battle under the lights

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Flying past the Falcons

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Reputation to uphold

• Prepping for a dogfight

Student Life

Ending on the right track

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Grizzlies hand Jesuit second loss

• Prepping for a dogfight

Freshman Focus

Getting started on the right track

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Gearing up for the Grizzlies

• Prepping for a dogfight

Sports

Jesuit suffers lopsided defeat

• Prepping for a dogfight

Features

Where we walk