JHS Plank

Team behind the team

Photo by Connor Bunker '18

Photo by Connor Bunker '18

All Jesuit High School students know of the Varsity Basketball Team. They’ve heard of the players, especially standouts like Jake Virga ’18, Elias King ’18, and Isa Silva ’21. However, there’s a group of students whose impact on the team goes nearly unnoticed by the majority of the student body: the managers.

The Varsity Basketball Team has the support of Team Managers Tommy Philips ’19, Alvin Wolf ’19, Jacob Nelson ’18, Tristan Schubert ’18, and Video Coordinator Dominic White ’18. Together, the managers do all the behind-the-scenes work that goes into every practice and game.

“The managers are definitely necessary to our program,” said Jake Virga ‘18. “They help with crucial things that the players and coaches simply don’t have time to do.”

The managers work hard to make sure the team can perform at its best during every practice and game. Some of their tasks include filming games, recording player statistics, wiping down the court, and helping with drills.

“[The managers] all do a great job and are an integral part of our team,” said Head Coach Jon Rotz ‘92. “Life would be a lot harder and the season would be much less fun without them around. They work hard and are a great source for conversation, support, and laughter with the players on the team.”

Each of the managers is heavily invested and involved in the Varsity Basketball Team. Although they are technically working, their jobs can be quite entertaining.

“I get to see every dunk, three-pointer, and highlight play,” said Dominic. “I have greatly enjoyed my experience as a manager.”

Over the course of the season, the managers have grown close with one another as well as with the rest of the team.

“The team is like one big family, managers included,” said Tristan. “We all look out for each other and support one another no matter what.”

The managers are an integral part to the Jesuit Varsity Basketball Team. Their hard work throughout the season allows the players to practice hard and perform well in games. Without them, it would be nearly impossible to have the same level of success.

• Team behind the team

Features

Where we walk

• Team behind the team

Features

Open to growth

• Team behind the team

Features

Blessing in disguise

• Team behind the team

Arts

And the award goes to…

• Features

Mojo in motion

• Team behind the team

Features

Arden & Fair Oaks

• Team behind the team

Arts

Space to shine

• Team behind the team

Features

Surrounded by sports

• Team behind the team

Features

Eye on the ball

• Team behind the team

Features

Dedicated leader