Clash of the Catholic schools

Jesuit High School and Christian Brothers High School are athletic rivals, but the relationship between the students at Jesuit and CB is different than your typical rivalry.

Christian Brothers was founded as an all boys school in 1876, nearly 90 years prior to Jesuit. Shortly after Jesuit opened in 1963, a fierce rivalry began. The first Holy Bowl was in 1969, and the rivalry has thrived since. At any Jesuit vs. CB event, one can expect lots of flair and emotion.

Rivalry games are highly competitive events for both the players and the students. These rivalry games can often draw the biggest crowds of the season across all sports. At Holy Bowl, tensions run high, and the student cheering sections heckle each other throughout the game.

Jesuit has been dominant against CB in most sports in recent memory, but the games are still fun to attend.

“Games against CB are huge,” said Casey Gilles ‘18. “They help answer the question who is the king of Sacramento,’ and Jesuit proves its royalty every year.”

Despite the heated competition, students between the two schools are not as heated towards each other as may appear at games. This is due in part to the fact that many students from the same Catholic elementary schools attend either of the schools and still remain friends.

“I have good friends from Christian Brothers,” said Jamieson Avila-DaRosa 19’, “The fact that we go to the two rival schools doesn’t interfere with our friendship.”

The next big game between the two schools is Holy Court, on February 3rd. Support the team and keep the rivalry alive.