Leviathan in the Pool

Joseph Cavazos ‘19 has started on Jesuit High School’s Varsity Water Polo Team for the past three years. Standing at 6’1” and weighing 180 pounds, Joseph is a key playmaker on the team and can be difficult for opponents to deal with.

Joseph, known to his friends as Joey, is a skilled center who is a major driving force for the team in and out the pool. He continues to score decisive goals in crucial games and his work ethic sets the bar for the rest of the team.

“Joey is a hard worker. He enjoys pushing himself and his teammates in training,” said Head Varsity Water Polo Coach Zac Koerner. “He is highly competitive and always sets a high bar in practice for himself and his teammates.”

Even as a Freshman, Joey showed more skill and understanding of the game compared to his more experienced teammates and opposition.

“While he has gotten stronger and faster each year, he has shown the biggest improvement in his fundamental skills and understanding of the game,” said Coach Koerner. “Even as a Freshman, he had the physical talent to compete with older, more experienced competition.”

Along with being a starter for the Jesuit Water Polo Team, Joey has also played for the USA Water Polo Men’s Cadet National Team. The exposure the National Team offered to Joey helped him stand out in high school competition and increase his overall skill and understanding of the game.  

“Training with the national team exposed me to the highest level of training with the best players and coaches in the country,” said Joey. “The rigorous training went seven hours a day and really forced me to expand my knowledge and skills in the pool.”

Despite only being a Junior, Joey still has a lot of potential to grow as a player. It is exciting to think about how Joey can still improve and leave even a bigger mark on the Jesuit Water Polo Team.
Follow The Plank on Twitter @jhsplank to receive in game updates as Joey Cavazos and the Marauders take on the Sacred Heart Gators in the NorCal D1 Championship Tournament.