The student news site of Jesuit High School

JHS Plank

Going to the next level

Courtesy of Jesuit Communications

Courtesy of Jesuit Communications

On Wednesday Feb. 1, eight student athletes from Jesuit High School signed their letter of intent to colleges.

It has been an important Jesuit tradition to celebrate students moving on to play at top universities across the nation. This year, students like Lucas Churchill ‘17 will carry the torch.

Lucas committed to the University of California Berkeley for soccer. He was also offered scholarships from Harvard University, Georgetown University, and Claremont McKenna College. The center attacking midfielder will work his hardest to succeed and will do Jesuit proud by playing at the next level.

I chose Cal because the vibe I got from the school fit my personality well and I expect to be challenged on the very first day on and off the field,” Lucas said. “ Jesuit has helped me reach this point because I learned how to balance academics and soccer starting my Freshman year, while also allowing me to find time to enjoy life away from the field and the classroom.”

Many other talented athletes like Lucas were celebrated during the ceremony. Tyler Adge ‘17 committed to the University of New Mexico, Darren Baker ‘17 committed to Berkeley, Casey Bravo ‘17 committed to the Dominican University of California, Calvin Brownholtz ‘17 committed to the University of Texas El Paso, Tyler Moss ‘17 committed to California State University Sacramento, Jake Vassar ‘17 committed to Boise State University, and Jonathan Amadi ‘17 committed to the University of California Davis.

These Marauders worked extremely hard to set new school records and to get recognized by colleges during their high school careers. They will be resolved to succeed at their sport and to further develop their abilities in college.

The students feel special and they should because it takes a lot of hours and hard work to put themselves in this position,” said Athletic Director Greg Harcos ‘89. “Only three percent of high school athletes get to move on and participate in college athletics so it is quite an honor. The next step is a really big one that will require even more hard work. I see a great deal of potential in this group because each one is willing to put in the work and that is now just as important as having the talent.”

These outstanding students have worked hard enough to earn an opportunity to experience athletics at the collegiate level, following in the footsteps of many other Jesuit graduates.

• Going to the next level

Sports

Get up and Run

• Going to the next level

Features

From a Jesuit Marauder to a USA Rugby Star

• Going to the next level

Freshman Focus

Don’t just sit there! Belly flop!

• Going to the next level

Multimedia

Holy Bowl 2017: A Visual Recap

• Going to the next level

Freshman Focus

Profound Powerball

• Going to the next level

Freshman Focus

Funding student activities

• Going to the next level

Freshman Focus

Opinion: Letter to the Class of 2021

• Going to the next level

Features

May 2017 Senior Edition Download

• Going to the next level

Sports

Fantastic close to a great season

• Going to the next level

Sports

Basketball postseason run-down

Going to the next level