Capturing a record-setting Section Championship

Capturing their record-setting 26th Sac-Joaquin Section title, Jesuit High School’s Varsity Cross Country Team placed first in Saturday’s Section Championship meet.

The Jesuit Varsity Cross Country team now holds the most section titles of any Sac-Joaquin Section school in any sport.

Three of the four Jesuit teams that qualified for the meet (the Freshman,Sophomores, and Varsity) brought home titles. The Sophomores became new title holders, joining the defending Freshman and Varsity teams as title holders. The Junior Varsity team, which did not qualify for sections last year, landed in third place after losing a tiebreaker to Davis High School, with both teams scoring a 66.

“It’s been a few years since we’ve had this much success across all divisions,” said Coach David Zielke. “Especially given the fact that we had some injuries that knocked key people out. Other guys stepped up in the last three weeks and did the job for us.”

Jesuit won one more section title than they did last year, and qualified all four teams, in contrast to last year’s three.

This meet marked the end of the season for the Freshman, Sophomore, and JV teams, but the Varsity Team will continue on to race in the state meet at Woodward Park in Fresno on Nov. 26.