Marauders overcome the Wildcats

Last Friday, Oct. 21, the Jesuit High School Marauders beat the Franklin High School Wildcats in a 45-20 thriller which sees them in a three-way tie for third place in the league.

Quarterback Calvin Brownholtz ‘17 threw four touchdown passes on the night, and running back Lorenzo Burkes ‘18 rushed for two touchdowns and two, two-point conversions.

“It was a high scoring game,” said wide receiver Evan Panson ‘18. “Our offense really came together, and our defense held it down. We had some big scores by Lorenzo Burkes; Jonathan Amadi had two touchdowns and Calvin had a great performance throwing four touchdowns.”

The game started 6-0 in the first quarter with a touchdown pass from Calvin to Evan. Lorenzo ran 44 yards for a touchdown, and was successful in the two point conversion making it 14-0. The Wildcats responded with a passing touchdown of their own, but the PAT was blocked.

The first quarter continued with Calvin completing a 41 yard pass to wide receiver Jonathan Amadi ‘17  for another touchdown. This time it was running back Isaiah Rutherford ‘19 who ran in for the two point conversion.

In the second quarter, Franklin rushed for another touchdown making the score 22-13. Later in the quarter, Lorenzo ran in again for a 31 yard touchdown and another two point conversion. Jesuit led Franklin 30-14 at halftime.

In the third quarter, Calvin completed his third touchdown pass to Sophomore Isaiah Rutherford. Running back Jason Gallagher ‘18 ran for another two-point conversion making the score 38-13. Franklin scored for the third time making the score 38-20 in the quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Calvin completed his quartet of touchdown passes off of a diving catch in the back of the end zone to Jonathan. This concluded the game with Jesuit winning 45-20.

“It was a great team win,” said Calvin. “It was a good bounce back game from the losses we took from Elk Grove (High School) and Sheldon (High School). We’re going to use the inspiration and take how we played Friday night to try and resume that on Saturday.”

This game inspires the team to keep their new winning streak alive as they face Monterey Trail High School next weekend in a game that is sure to keep fans on the edge of their seats.