Seven straight

Last Saturday, Jesuit High School defeated Christian Brothers High School 25-7 in the 46th annual Holy Bowl. Jesuit and Christian Brothers have had a rivalry dating back decades and Holy Bowl is always the biggest clash between the two powerhouses.

The Jesuit offense was looking strong heading into the Holy Bowl, scoring 28 points in a home win against Granite Bay High School.

Holy Bowl began with Jesuit scoring first on a 45 yard touchdown pass from quarterback Calvin Brownholtz ‘17 to wide receiver Jonathan Amadi ‘17.

“It was an amazing experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything,” Amadi said. “It was cool to see the crowd and my team get hyped.”  

The Jesuit defense was also very strong, intercepting three Christian Brother’s passes, including one that was ran back for a Jesuit touchdown by Amadi for his third touchdown.

The Galley Crew was worried as the Marauders were only up 13-7 going into the fourth quarter. Thanks to a powerful 27 yard run by Lorenzo Burkes ‘18 and a pick six by Amadi, the Marauders were able to close out the Falcons for their 7th straight Holy Bowl win.

Head Varsity Football Coach Marlon Blanton was overall pleased with his team, but saw room for improvement.

“We had a lot of penalties and too many turnovers … [but] the team is strong and we won,” Coach Blanton said.“I’m confident in my football team when we do things well. When they do things well, I think they can play and they can beat anybody.”

The Marauders (2-1) are looking to build momentum with a 3rd win on Sept. 23rd when they face Pleasant Grove High School (0-3) at Sheldon High School.