A ruthless Rio rivalry

This Saturday, Jan. 17, the Jesuit High School Marauders take on the Raiders at Rio Americano High School for dominance over American River Drive. This is Jesuit’s second biggest rivalry next to Christian Brothers, and after a loss to the Falcons, they are aiming for a big win.

“No one ever wants to lose a rivalry game,” says Varsity Head Coach Greg Harcos. “It shakes your confidence, but these guys bounced back with [two] wins this week and are going in the right direction. League is where our concern is these days and we are taking those games one at a time.”

One of the best parts of a rival like this are the student sections from both schools. There is always a high attendance and a high intensity from both student bodies.

“The Rio game is always fun because of the crowd and I have complete faith that we will be ready to compete,” said Coach Harcos.

Jesuit’s players are also pumped for the big game, feeling a lot more confident and prepared for their battle against Rio Americano.

“After Having a disappointing loss to Christian Brothers, we hope to win,” says freshman varsity player Chris Simpson. “We are on a winning streak, playing good basketball, and dominating our opponents.”

In the past, Jesuit has usually won the game against Rio, but the Marauders have had a shaky season; however, they have had a slow rise the past couple of games.

“The team has improved a lot more throughout the season,” said Senior Manager Eric McLaughlin. “Everyone’s back and healthy, which is great.”

This game has always been a great competition between two neighboring schools, whether it’s who plays the best game or who has the biggest, loudest crowd. The Battle for American River Drive is definitely a game no one should miss.