Aquatic Excellence

The Jesuit High School Varsity Water Polo team had a great season. With 27 players on the team, the Marauders always had a big presence in the pool.

The season officially started on Sept. 2 with their game against St. Mary’s High School. Both teams played fiercely, and the game came down to a final shot from St. Mary’s, who won the game 6-7.  A couple of days later, on Sept. 4, Jesuit beat Gunn High School 13-8 to gain back their spirit and begin their season-long push towards a section title.

The Marauders went to the Santa Barbara Tournament from Sept. 11-13, where they went 4-1, defeating Campolindo High School, one of the top water polo high schools in Northern California.  Later, Jesuit faced Campolindo again in a non-tournament game after Jesuit’s match against Franklin High School. The Marauders went to Campolindo after their 18-5 victory over Franklin, but Campolindo came out on top over Jesuit, winning 10-11 on Sept. 18.

Jesuit waited over a week before playing their next game against their rivals, the Rio Americano High School Raiders, in the Battle for American River Drive. , the Marauder’s rival in the Battle for American River Drive. The game, held on Sept. 26 at Jesuit’s pool, resulted in the Marauder’s domination over the Raiders with a final score of 14-4, allowing the Jesuit Marauders to walk off the pool deck, crowned Kings of American River Drive.

Not long after, Granite Bay High School and Monterey Trail High School both lost to the Marauders, sending Jesuit into one of the biggest high school water polo tournaments with a record of 9-2: The S and R Cup

The S and R Cup was held in Irvine Calif. on Oct. 10. The Marauders won their first game against San Clemente High School, breaking into the winners bracket. Unfortunately, Jesuit lost their next three games to Corona Del Mar High School, Coronado High School, and Long Beach Wilson High School, respectively. Although they lost most of their games, winning the first game put the Marauders in eighth place for the tournament, making Jesuit history as the best placement Jesuit Varsity Water Polo has ever earned in the S And R Cup.

Jesuit did not let the outcome of the tournament get to their heads, as the team would beat their next three opponents, defeating Christian Brothers High School 23-11, Lodi High School 17-8, and Davis High School 17-15, respectively. The Davis game was a huge win for Jesuit, as the Davis Blue Devils defeated the Marauders in the 2013 section final, and tensions were high for both teams.

The Sac-Joaquin Sections for the Marauders started on Friday, Nov. 7, at Johansen High School against Franklin High School. This first round saw Jesuit soar into round two with a 19-6 victory over Franklin. Round two changed venues on Tuesday, Nov. 11, to Tokay High School, where the Marauders faced Lincoln High School. The game concluded with the Marauders moving to round three with a 20-9 victory. Thursday, Nov. 13, saw round three for Jesuit, where they defeated St. Mary’s High School 11-6.

The victory over St. Mary’s sealed their spot in the section final game, held at Woodcreek High School on Saturday Nov. 15, against the Davis High School Blue Devils. After four quarters, the Jesuit Marauders ended the game, vanquishing the Blue Devils with a 9-7 victory. This triumph secured the Sac-Joaquin Water Polo Division I Section Title for the Marauders, as Jesuit’s 112th section title.

Coaches awards were presented to senior Reggie Camacho and sophomore Josh Orrick. Seniors Will Peterson, Nicholas Giancanelli, Ed Smet, Max Merchant, and sophomore Josh Orrick made first team for sections, and seniors Stetson Wheeler and Will Beckwith were given honorable mention.