Ready to take on the Blue Devils

Jesuit High School will play Davis High School this Saturday, Oct. 13, hoping to remain undefeated in Delta League play.

The Marauders enter the game with a 5-2 record after defeating Elk Grove High School last week. The Blue Devils have a 4-3 record after recently defeating Pleasant Grove High School.

The Marauders are on a five game winning streak and are favored to win against the Blue Devils. Jesuit defensive back Villi Hopoi ’20 has high expectations for his team.

“Our expectations for this game is to blow them out, and the way we are going to do that is by staying disciplined and reading our keys,” Villi said.

To defeat Davis, the Marauders will need to make plays on defense and stop the Blue Devils’ strong offense. Jesuit defensive back Matthew Marsh ’20 believes his team can get the job done.  

“I expect that Davis will come hard from the outset of the game,” Matthew said. “In order to win, we need to shut down their key players, such as their receivers #8 and #5, as well as not let ourselves get fooled by all the trick plays they run.”

The players that Matthew numerically referenced are junior Payne Barksdale and senior Kayden Hoal, both big-time contributors for the Davis offense. Barksdale and Hoal have a combined 13 touchdowns this season.

Besides locking down these receivers, Jesuit will need their defensive line to control the line of scrimmage. Line Coach Sean Morris is confident that his defense will be successful in rushing the quarterback and stopping the run.

“What our team needs to win is to execute our system and defensive game plan,” Coach Morris said. “We have talented football players on our team this year. If we execute and play hard, we will be fine.”

The Marauders are looking to extend their winning streak to six games as they go up against the Blue Devils this weekend. Jesuit will need their fans to get hyped to energize the team as they make a push for the playoffs.

Watch the Marauders battle against Davis at Jesuit on Saturday, Oct. 13. The junior varsity game is at 11 a.m., and the varsity game is at 1 p.m.