Another Holy Bowl Victory

Legendary rivals, Jesuit High School and Christian Brothers High School met at Hughes Stadium once again for 47th annual Holy Bowl this past weekend.

Following victories by the Freshman and Junior Varsity squads, the Varsity team defeated the CB Falcons 43-14.

The win was not effortless. Two turnovers by Jesuit’s offense in the first quarter opened the door for CB.

Jesuit, however, struck back quickly. On their next possession, running back Isaiah Rutherford ‘19 broke free for an 85 yard touchdown, scoring Jesuit’s first of 6 touchdowns.

“It was a good play to have,” said tight end Nick Miller ‘18. “It really got our momentum going.”

Jesuit gained momentum and became nearly unstoppable. Their defense gave up only one more touchdown in the second quarter, and a strong offensive performance turned what would have been a solid win into 20 point blowout.

Both quarterbacks, Josh Farr ‘18 and Hank Harvego ‘19, were at the top of their games, hitting their targets consistently. Hank connected with Evan Panson ‘18 on a 50 yard touchdown pass.

The Falcons were not going down without a fight. They had an impressive touchdown in the second quarter to narrow the scoring margin, but Jesuit met force with force. On the next kickoff, Demario Keyes ‘18 ran the ball back for a 90 yard touchdown.

Coming off losses to Granite Bay High School and Folsom High School, Jesuit’s Holy Bowl victory was pivotal in this young season.

“We had just lost two of our biggest games,” said defensive tackle Matthew Sweeney ‘18. “We just needed a win and we blew them out of the water.”

The game may give Jesuit the confidence and motivation to finish out the season strong.