Dining with legends

On Friday, May 8, Jesuit High School hosted its induction ceremony for the Hall of Fame Class of 2015.

Among those honored were former Varsity Basketball Coach Len Stevens, contributors John and Sandra Cook, the entire 1999 varsity rugby team, as well as student-athletes Nigel Burton (football, basketball and track and field) ‘91, Ray Lehner (football and rugby) ‘88, Lee Morrison (soccer) ‘98, Mike Shaffer (swimming) ‘83, and Sam Warburg (Sam Warburg) ‘01.

Mr. Burton moved attended the University of the Pacific and the University of Washington, where he played safety on the football team and was named All-Pac 10 3 years in a row. Mr. Burton is currently the head football coach at Portland State University.

Mr. Lehner attend University of California at Berkeley, where he walked on to the football team for three years, and was a three-time All American for the rugby team. Mr. Lehner went on to perform in thirty-nine caps for the United States National Rugby team, and is currently a history teacher at Bishop O’Dowd High School in Oakland.

Varsity Soccer Coach Paul Rose had nothing but good things to say about Class of 2015 inductee Lee Morrison. “He was named a High School All – American by Parade Magazine, he earned a scholarship to Stanford where he was a four year starter, and he was a great team leader who led by example more than words,” said Coach Rose.

Mike Shaffer went on to swim for the University of California- Santa Barbara, where he was an NCAA All American. Mr. Shaffer was ranked #1 in the world or United States 130 separate times from 1993 until now.

Sam Warburg continued his tennis career at Stanford University after Jesuit, where he was a two-time NCAA All American. Mr. Warburg won the National Championship in doubles for Stanford in 2004. Mr. Warburg has played in 14 Grand-Slam events, some of those being the US Open, Wimbledon, and the Australian Open.

All of these people were honored because of the outstanding achievements they have made both on and off the field at Jesuit High School and beyond.

The ceremony was a special event where, not only did the hall of fame inductees get honored, but also the current Jesuit students who are going on to play sports at the college level.

These students hope to carry on the tradition and wisdom that the 2015 Hall of Fame class has passed down to them.