Redemption for Jesuit soccer

Mac Yates, Staff Writer

It was a flash of gold and blue on Saturday night, as Jesuit took on Davis High School in an intense game of soccer. The game took place on the recently popular Bonney Field, the home of the famed Sacramento Republic FC. Putting aside the usual white uniform, the Marauders played in their new gold uniform, facing off the Blue Devils. The Marauders were only missing one starter, Michael Mellor ’16, who was unable to play due to a strained ACL. The stands were filled with about 2,000 fans, with the Galley Crew ruling the right side of the stands.

“The Galley Crew was pretty good. I was expecting more people to come, however I still got pumped up for the game,” said John Riehl ’15, who represented the “T” in the Jesuit Cheer.

The game ended in a 2 to 1 triumph for Jesuit. The goals for Jesuit were scored by Diego Buenrostro ’15 and Lucas Churchill ’17, shooting the game winning goal the only goal Davis scored was off a penalty kick in the second half. This win was redemption for when the two teams first played in the early season, with Davis beating Jesuit 3 to 1. The Marauders have now shown who is boss in the league.

” As a team we came out on fire. With such a passionate crowd cheering for us, the only option was for us to win,” said Luc Barbe ’15, veteran goalkeeper for the Marauders.

This win puts Jesuit at number 1 in the Delta River Valley League, and Davis at number 3. Jesuit’s goal is to continued their road to the Sac Joaquin Section Championship in hopes of redeeming themselves after last year’s crushing loss.