Standout sophomore

Isaiah Rutherford ‘19 is somewhat of a spectacle when it comes to football. The 6’2”, 170 pound Sophomore starts at running back for Jesuit High School. He also played Varsity basketball for the Jesuit Marauders last year as a Freshman.

Despite his grade, Isaiah has stood out on Jesuit’s Varsity Football Team. It is not typical that for a Sophomore to to start, let alone shine in Jesuit in football.

“Isaiah has a very bright future ahead of him, he is one of the guys you root for,” said Head Varsity Football Coach Marlon Blanton. “He is a very personable young man, a very hard worker, and I am incredibly fortunate to be able to work with him.”

This year’s Varsity team is a very talented and young,consisting of mostly Juniors and a few Sophomores.  Isaiah has settled into the team fairly well.

“I like this team, I see big things happening,” Isaiah said. “We are a bunch of young guys, and we lost [once], to a very tough Folsom team.”

Isaiah has aspirations of playing football beyond high school, and in the future he hopes to attract interest from colleges.

“For football, I dream to play at The University of Southern California,” Isaiah said. “I really see football taking me beyond the high school level.”

He has also had various coaches make contact with his basketball coaches regarding a future in basketball, so his path going forward is still open.

Meanwhile, with the season well under way, Isaiah’s focus is given to football this semester.